Morgan Historical Museum in Morgan Street houses a varied collection
interesting artefacts which tell the tale of Australian colonial
life and extensive displays that depict the town's great mining industry.
It has had many interesting and varied occupants since construction
in 1895. The original owners were James Stewart & Co., merchants
whose name is deeply etched in Central Queensland merchandise history.
rugby union players still regard the 1911 team as an inspiration.
The story is told that a representative match played between
Central Queensland (13 of the 15 players were from Mount Morgan)
and New South Wales ended with a remarkable result. The 13 players
finished their shift in the old underground mine, working for
hours with picks and shovels, and minutes later ran onto the
field to beat the blues 9-6.